ERAS® principles are well established and preoperative carbohydrate loading has been adopted in several hospitals across the United States. What you may be wondering is CF(Preop)® safe for children and how much should they consume? The short answer YES, CF(Preop)® is not only safe but encouraged for children to consume before surgery. Today, we break down all the details regarding the consumption of CF(Preop)® by children.
CF(Preop)® & Enhanced Recovery
In both adults and children, studies have shown that doctors who implement and patients who follow ERAS® protocol, including a recommended perioperative nutrition plan, can:
- Shorten length of stay (LOS)
- Reduce cost through early mobilization
- Improve outcomes in patient satisfaction
- Improve outcomes in caregiver satisfaction
Why Children Should Drink CF(Preop)®
Preoperative carbohydrate loading has several benefits in the pediatric population. Research has shown that the most notable postoperative complication in pediatric surgery is postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV). Anesthesia complications are more severe and common in children than adults, so preoperative carbohydrate loading is crucial for pediatric patients undergoing surgery.
Current research suggests:
- Postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) is a common complication in pediatric anesthesia and is a source of significant morbidity.
- The incidence of PONV in children is alarmingly high, as it is estimated to be between 33.2% to 82% depending on patient risk factors.
- Post-discharge nausea and vomiting include symptoms that persist for up to 7 days after anesthesia.
- PONV occurs twice as often in children than in adults and can lead to longer PACU stays, delays in hospital discharge, and subsequent unplanned readmissions, which ultimately lead to a significant financial burden on the patients.
- The syndrome of nausea, vomiting, and dehydration is one of the leading causes of pediatric readmissions, accounting for 51.2% of such cases. Moreover, pediatric readmission, within one week of discharge, is estimated to contribute to $1 billion in healthcare costs annually.
In 2018 a randomized control trial was conducted on 120 children in Germany undergoing a gastroscopy. The control group did a standard NPO fast and the intervention group used a preoperative carbohydrate drink. The results from this study showed that the intervention group had a reduction in nausea and gastric content. This study was published in the British Journal of Anesthesiology in 2018
Research has shown that the most notable postoperative complication in pediatric surgery is PONV. Anesthesia complications are more severe and common than in adults so preoperative carbohydrate loading is crucial in children undergoing surgery. The incidence of PONV varies from 13 to 42% in children and adults without prophylaxis. Incidence of PONV varies with different anesthetic options, from patient to patient, and operating procedure.
CF(Preop)® Pediatric Drinking Instructions
CF(Preop)® is safe for little ones to consume up to two hours before surgery, and ensures children are getting the clean, clinical nourishment they need to enter surgery stronger and recover faster.
UNDER 3 YEARS OF AGE, 10-15 KG:
- Drink 4 oz (1/3 bottle) 2 hours prior to surgery
4-8 YEARS OF AGE, 16-28 KG
- Drink 6 oz (1/2 bottle) 2 hours prior to surgery
9-13 YEARS OF AGE, 30-47 KG
- Drink 8 oz (2/3 bottle) 2 hours prior to surgery
14-17 YEARS OF AGE, 52-65 KG
- Drink 12 oz (1 bottle) 2 hours prior to surgery
*Click here for Printable version
CF Nutrition products are safe and healthy for children. Providing CF(Preop)® to children before surgery can help them recover faster!