Did You Know?
1. Since 1999 (and reinforced in 2011) the ASA® stated in their preoperative fasting guidelines that patients should be hydrating and nourishing with clear liquids up to 2 hours before surgery, and forgoing the traditional NPO fast.
2. Over 30 studies have shown that the residual gastric acid caused by NPO starvation can be extremely harmful to patients if aspirated
3. Research and field data shows the following patient benefits from hydrating and nourishing patients before anesthesia:
- Reduced rates of infection
- Less preop anxiety
- Reduced PONV
- Shorter LOS
No ClearFast Yet?
1. ClearFast is specifically formulated for surgical patients - no colored dyes, no protein, no fat, no extreme sugar content
2. ClearFast contains complex carbs and just the right amount of calories, unlike sports drinks
3. ClearFast contains healing properties such as zinc and L-citrulline
4. ClearFast comes in a 12oz, ready-to-drink bottle - no powders, no mixing, no measuring, no mess
If you already use ClearFast, that's great!
If only some of your service lines or facilities are using ClearFast, contact us to learn about substantial bulk discounts, and our storage and expiration date management for customers in a system-wide adoption!
By The Numbers
Benefits for Patients
ClearFast can curb both preoperative hunger and thirst. It clears the stomach in 60 to 90 minutes after ingestion, reduces residual gastric volume and acidity, and helps reduce postoperative insulin resistance.
Proven through clinical studies and in actual use, ClearFast provides many significant benefits for pre-surgical patients, including:
- Decreases the hunger, thirst, and nausea typically associated with fasting prior to surgery
- Decreases the stress on patients by eliminating starvation resulting from NPO
- Decreases muscle breakdown by increasing glucose uptake through the enhanced insulin sensitivity associated with preoperative complex carbohydrates loading
- Helps decrease post-surgical infection rates
- Helps decrease patient length of stay in the hospital (LOS)
- Reduces Post-Operative Nausea and Vomiting (PONV)
Benefits for Hospitals
By prescribing ClearFast to surgical patients, you are not only increasing the standard of care you provide but the standard of care your hospital or facility provides. ClearFast provides many benefits for healthcare institutions, including:
- Helping them to comply with Enhanced Recovery Protocols
- Reducing the number of post-operative readmits
- Shortening patient LOS
- Reducing cost of care
- Reducing postoperative complications (such as post-operative Insulin Resistance)
- Reducing the rates of postoperative infections
- Increasing patient comfort
- Increasing patient satisfaction
- Helping to improve HCAHPS scores
Specifically Formulated For Surgical Patients
ClearFast contains the ideal formulation and ingredients needed to ensure a properly nourished and hydrated body prior to surgery, including:
Carbohydrates: ClearFast uses maltodextrin, an easily digested complex carbohydrate that helps to replenish glycogen depleted by catabolism related to fasting and surgery. Studies have shown that the intake of a carbohydrate rich drink two hours prior to surgery was safe because it did not increase residual gastric volume (RGV) or acidity, but improved patients’ well-being and comfort.
Electrolytes: ClearFast contains sodium and potassium to replenish the body’s fluid and electrolyte levels following the dehydration caused by fasting.
Vitamin A: Acts as an antioxidant and supports the function and health of epithelial tissue.
Selenium: A trace mineral that acts as an antioxidant and contributes to healthy immune function. When combined with Zinc, Selenium may reduce the risk of infections.
Zinc: A trace mineral, essential for protein synthesis, Zinc plays a well-documented role in wound healing.
L-citrulline: An amino acid widely used to reduce fatigue and improve endurance in athletic performances, L-citrulline has a much more profound role in the enhancement of perioperative outcomes: it improves circulation by increasing nitric oxide levels and boosts the immune system through nourishment of bowel enterocytes and efficient conversion of itself to plasma L-arginine.
December 29, 2016
December 20, 2016
December 20, 2016
August 9, 2016
July 8, 2016
September 20, 2015
“As the Medical Director of a large and busy OPSC, the creator of ClearFast was focused on alleviating physical manifestations of the pre-op fast including hunger, thirst, nausea, headache, anxiety and general discomfort as well as on the significant economic consequences of patients violating that fast. While a fast from solids is rational, the prohibition of any clear calorie-rich fluids is counter-intuitive.”
Some facilities choose to stock ClearFast in their pharmacies and sell it to their patients.
The majority of facilities give 2 or 3 bottles of ClearFast to their patients in welcome bags, a few days before their surgeries.
As a courtesy, the ClearFast creative staff can create custom drinking instructions with your facility's logo and colors.
Download Drinking Instructions
All service lines can benefit from using ClearFast, but these are the most popular ones to begin implementation.
Existing customers- Please send Purchase Orders to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (858) 703-6480
If you are ordering less than 4 cases or prefer self-service, please order through Amazon.com
More questions? Please call (858) 649-1070 or send them to email@example.com
Bulk pricing begins at 13+ cases.
Contract pricing begins at 460+ cases.
For details please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 649-1070
For Bulk & Contract pricing we offer shipping schedules that manage expiration dates.
2 bottle protocol per patient (please see our drinking instructions)
Each case serves 6 patients
Dimensions 10.5″L 8.5″W 7.75″H
Product currently shipping has at least 120 days shelf-life